ASSOCIATION OF SENIOR CITIZENS’ ORGANISATIONS OF PUNE
Aims and Objectives of ASCOP
- To create unity amongst various Senior Citizens’ Organisations by implementing suitable programmes for exchange of experiences, sharing of resources, and motivating struggle for the cause of Senior Citizens.
- To coordinate various activities of Senior Citizens’ Organisations in Pune city for maximum results.
- To organize and conduct programmes for promoting health, social and family integration, culture and knowledge.
- To undertake research projects in Gerontology as well as Geriatrics and organize lectures, study circles, seminars etc.
- To generate and publish literature promoting the cause of Senior Citizens.
- To issue guidelines for Graceful Aging.
Activities of ASCOP
As on the 2nd of September 2003 a total of 84 Senior Citizens’ Organisations are functioning in Pune city. The main function of the ASCOP is to coordinate the activities of the member organizations. In order to facilitate mutual interaction between these organizations they have been divided into 15 groups and attempts are being made to organize groupwise programmes.
ASCOP has liaison with various national and international bodies like the Federation of the Senior Citizens’ Organisations of Maharashtra, Indian Federation of Aging, International Federation on Aging, World Health Organisation, etc. and makes available to its member-organisations the material published by these bodies and programmes suggested by them.
ASCOP strives to work for the cause of senior citizens without any discrimination regarding religion, caste, creed, sex, education, financial ststus or political opinions and projects their views to the Government and local bodies.
ASCOP has an important academic wing called the
ACSOP has the following Plans for the future:-
- Assignment of ASCOP Groups of Senior Citizens’ Organisations to encourage participation of elderly in the civic problems of the concerned area.
- Tie-up with Major Hospitals in Pune to provide medical services/facilities at subsidized rates to elders.
- Organisation of workshops/Seminars/Courses on Financial planning. Age related disorders and disabilities, housing needs of the elderly etc.
- Shibir on Yogic Practices and alternate therapies.
- Establishment of Day Care Centers in collaboration with Service-oriented clubs/organizations.
- Use of Media to focus public opinion on real issues of ageing and concerns of population ageing.
- Initiating Emergency Helplines.
- Publication of ASCOP Newsletter.